Lishinu dog leash Christmas

7 Holiday Hazards For Pets

This the season to be jolly, but not so much if your pet gets into something it shouldn’t. And with the holiday festivities underway, we as pet parents need to be aware of just what may pose an issue to our beloved fur babies. Here are 7 holiday hazards for pets to keep your eyes open for.

1. Chocolate

Although, chocolate in any form has been noted to be dangerous for both dogs and cats, there are still some folks that believe just a little is fine. However, the main chemical found in chocolate, theobromine (which is similar to caffeine) can lead to toxicity in both dogs and cats, that includes in small doses. During the holidays, households tend to have more of this tasty substance lying around where curious pets can easily get into it. To avoid any mishaps, put those sweets away where curious paws can’t knock it down and indulge in this potentially fatal treat.

2. Alcohol

When parties get in motion an unattended alcoholic beverage can quickly become a potentially dangerous situation for your dog or cat. Alcohol in even moderate amounts can depress the animal’s central nervous system, which can lead to a lower and slower heart rate and breathing. If the toxicity continues, your pet may also experience a drop in body temperature and a potentially fatal condition known as metabolic acidosis (blood becomes too acidic). If left untreated, heart failure will occur.

Another substance that can lead to alcohol toxicity is unbaked bread dough. If ingested, the animal’s stomach acts like a warm oven where the yeast in the dough will metabolize into lethal levels of ethanol and carbon dioxide. This can lead to bloating in the pet’s stomach and also alcohol poisoning from the high levels of ethanol.

Lishinu Holiday Hint: Even though the season is busy, be sure to still make time to walk your canine companion. It’s not only a great way to keep your pooch from adding on those holiday pounds, but it’s a fun way to unwind and distress after a busy day.

3. Tinsel & Christmas Ornaments

It’s shiny and twinkles on the holiday tree but even though tinsel is a seasonal favorite, for our beloved fur babies, it can be fatal. Tinsel is thin and sharp, so imagine what it can do to an intestinal system if swallowed. There has been many cases of a string of tinsel wrapping around and cutting off the intestinal tract. In addition, tinsel can also ball up in your pet’s stomach, causing additional health issues.

4. Poinsettia Plants

Although this Christmas plant’s toxicity is considered “mild” it still bears mentioning. The milky white sap-like substance found in the leaves and “flowers” of the poinsettia can cause drooling, stomach upset and vomiting if ingested. In some cases, exposure to the skin of the animal may cause redness, swelling and itchiness. Keep this plant away from curious pets to avoid any mishaps, regardless of how mild they be be.

Lishinu Holiday Hint: Even though there is a long list of no-no’s for your pets, there are still some yummy Holiday treats they can enjoy. Try sweet potatoes, or bits of raw carrot for a festive alternative to dog biscuits.

5. Christmas Light Cords

Electrical burns are a very real possibility when your canine or feline friend decides to chomp down on a Christmas light cord. Electrical shocks can lead to an accumulation of fluid in your pet’s lungs as well as actual burns on the animal’s mouth and tongue.

To prevent this holiday hazard keep those electrical cords safely out of reach of your pets. If your dog or cat insists on chewing on the cords, try smoothing on a some amount of tabasco sauce along the cords; it’s better for Fluffy or Fido to get “hot” surprise over a big shock.

6. Mistletoe and Holly

These two holiday favorites can be extremely toxic if ingested by your pets. Both the berries and the leaves of the mistletoe and holly plants can cause severe stomach upset, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea and with the case of mistletoe, effects can also include seizures and even death. Be sure to keep these holiday hazards far out of reach of your curious pets, or better yet, stick to the artificial kind.

7. Xylitol

Although most folks may not even know what Xylitol is when this sugar substitute is ingested by an animal it can cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures and even liver failure. Where is this ingredient found? Sugar-free candy, gum and some recipes. Avoid giving your dogs or cats treats that may contain this chemical.

Happy Holidays From Lishinu

Here at Lishinu we want to wish you and your furry friends a safe and happy tail-wagging season. If you haven’t ordered your Lishinu retractable hands-free leash here’s your chance. Order today and get a free red Lishinu cover and 20 percent off your purchase!

Happy Holidays!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *